Opening a New Notebook
- By default, OneNote will open the notebooks you were working on when you last closed the program.
- If the notebook is not open and displayed in the Notebook drop-down, click the “File” tab in the Ribbon and click on “Open” in Backstage View. If the notebook is stored in the cloud, click the “Sign In” button to login with your Windows Live ID and retrieve the notebook.
- If the notebook is stored on your computer or server, click the “Computer” and “Browse” buttons under “Open from other locations.” In the “Open Notebook” dialog box, navigate to the location of the desired notebook and double-click on it, then click on “Open Notebook” and then “Open.”
Creating a New Notebook
- Click the “File” tab in the Ribbon to open Backstage View.
- Click “New” in the menu on the left side of the screen.
- In the “New Notebook” section that appears to the right, select to save the notebook to “SkyDrive” or “Computer.”
- Enter a name for the notebook in the “Name” textbox.
- Either enter a “Web Location” by logging into your SkyDrive on your Windows Live account, or a network or computer location, if saving to your computer or a network.
- Click the “Create Notebook” button.
- To insert a note, click in any open area of a page and either type text or paste it from a different location.
- Hover your mouse pointer over the right side of the note container until a double-sided arrow appears. Click and drag the note’s edge to expand it horizontally.
- You can move the note container by hovering your mouse over the top edge of the container until a four-sided arrow appears. Click and drag the container to a new location.
Inserting Files into Notes
- To insert another type of file, such as a Word document, navigate to the page and click in the area where you want to insert the file..Click the insert tab in the Ribbon and then select the “File Attachment” (“Attach File” in 2010) button.
- Click the insert tab in the Ribbon and then select the “File Attachment” (“Attach File” in 2010) button.
- In the “Choose a file or set of files to insert” dialog box, navigate to and click to select the file.
- Click the “Insert” button.
- You can open the file at any time by double-click the file’s icon in the OneNote page.
Insert Pictures into Notes
- To add a picture to a page, navigate to the page into which you wish to insert an image.
- Click the “Insert” tab in the Ribbon and then select the “Pictures” button in the “Images” group.
- In the “Insert Picture” dialog box, navigate to the location of the image you want to insert and click to select it.
- Click the “Insert” button to insert the picture.
- To move the image on the page, click to select it. Move your mouse over an edge and not on a resizing handle, until your cursor turns into a four-sided arrow.
- Click, drag and release to move the image.
- You can also use the re-sizing handles to re-size the image to your liking by hovering over a re-sizing handle until your cursor turns into a double-sided arrow. Click and drag the handle to change the picture’s size.