Creating a New Publication
- When you first open Publisher 2013, you will see a startup screen that allows you to create a new publication.
- Click the type of publication that you want to create within the listing of available templates that appears at the right side of the startup screen.
- If you already have opened a publication in Publisher 2013 or Publisher 2010, you can view a similar screen by clicking the “File” tab within the Ribbon and then selecting the “New” command at the left side of the backstage view.
- In the listing of available templates that appears to the right in the backstage view, you can choose to start a new publication from one of the many templates available or you can choose to simply create a new blank publication by clicking the desired template choice.
- You can then click either the “Create” or “Download” buttons that appear to create a new publication based on the selected template.
- To create a new, blank publication that is a standard page size, select the “Blank 8.5 x 11” icon from the templates listing.
- To save a publication for the first time, click the “File” tab within the Ribbon.
- Click the “Save As” command in the command panel shown at the left side of the backstage view.
- To the right of the command panel, under the “Places” section, you will see the places that are available for you to save the file.
- If you are signed into your computer and Microsoft Office 2013 by using a Microsoft user account, then you can click the “SkyDrive” choice under the “Places” section to save to your online SkyDrive folders.
- After selecting this choice, you will see any recently selected SkyDrive folders shown to the right under the “Recent Folders” section.
- You can click on a recently accessed folder to select it as the save location.
- At that point a “Save As” dialog box will appear.
- If you have no folders listed in the “Recent Folders” section, then instead click the “Browse” button to open a “Save As” dialog box where you can select the desired folder within the SkyDrive to use.
- Alternately, you can select the “Computer” choice under the “Places” section versus “SkyDrive.”
- Just as when saving to the SkyDrive, select a recently used folder on your computer from the “Recent Folders” section or click the “Browse” button to open the “Save As” dialog box.
- After selecting a location to save the publication file, the “Save As” dialog box appears.
- In this dialog box, enter a file name into the “File name” field.
- Once you have entered the file name and noted the save location, click the “Save” button within the “Save As” dialog box to finish saving the file.
- To save changes made to the publication in the future, just click the “Save” button in the Quick Access toolbar, or click the “File” tab in the Ribbon and then click the “Save” command. Publisher will automatically save the changes to the existing file.
- If you have multiple publications open, then to close a publication you can just click the “x” in the upper right corner of the application window to close the current publication. Clicking the “x” is equivalent to executing the “Close” command.
- If you only have a single publication open, and you want to leave the Publisher application open, then click the “File” tab in the Ribbon or click the Microsoft Office button and then click the “Close” command to close the file and leave the program open.
- If you click the “x” in the upper-right corner of the application window with only one publication open, you will close the publication and also exit the application.