The Pencil Tool in Photoshop Elements – Instructions
The Pencil Tool in Photoshop Elements: Overview
The Pencil Tool in Photoshop Elements draws hard-edged lines in photos. Click the Pencil Tool button in the Toolbox to use it. Then click and drag in your image to create lines and apply color to the pixels in the selected layer. The Pencil Tool has many of the same options as the Brush Tool but cannot be used as an airbrush.
The Pencil Tool in Photoshop Elements also contains an additional “Auto Erase” option in the Tool Options Bar. If you check this checkbox, you can then draw the background color over areas in the document where you have already applied the foreground color to replace it. After making your selections in the Tool Options Bar, click and drag in your image to draw with the Pencil Tool.
The Pencil Tool in Photoshop Elements – Instructions: A picture of a user drawing a line by using the Pencil Tool in Photoshop Elements.
The Pencil Tool in Photoshop Elements: Instructions
- To use the Pencil Tool, select the “Pencil Tool” button in the Toolbox and, if necessary, the Tool Options Bar.
- Then set the color to apply as the “Foreground” color in the Toolbox.
- Then ensure you select the correct layer to which to apply the selected color in the “Layers” panel.
- Next, select a brush shape from the “Brush Preset Picker” pop-up menu within the Tool Options Bar.
- To then set the width of the brush tip, use the “Size” slider.
- To set how the brush will apply and interact with the color of the pixels it is painting over, use the “Mode” drop-down in the Tool Options Bar.
- If you want to set the transparency level of the paint you are applying, use the “Opacity” slider.
- To automatically apply the current “background” color over the “foreground” color when clicking and dragging with the “Pencil Tool” and when starting over the already applied foreground color, click the “Auto Erase” checkbox.
- To paint using the current settings, click and drag in the photo to apply the color.
The Pencil Tool in Photoshop Elements: Video Lesson
The following video lesson, titled “The Pencil Tool,” shows you how to use the Pencil Tool in Photoshop Elements. This video is from our complete Photoshop Elements tutorial, titled “Mastering Photoshop Elements Made Easy v.2021.”