Timeline Options in Excel – Tutorial
Timeline Options in Excel: Overview
This lesson shows you how to set timeline options in Excel. After inserting a timeline, an “Options” tab within a new “Timeline Tools” contextual tab then appears in the Ribbon. This tab appears within the Ribbon any time you have the timeline selected within the worksheet. You use the buttons on this tab to modify the timeline options in Excel and make other timeline adjustments.
The “Timeline” button group appears at the left end of this tab. Here you can see and edit the name of the “Timeline Caption” within the text box. You can click the “Report Connections” button to then open the “Report Connections” dialog box. This then lets you select the PivotTable and PivotChart reports to connect to the selected filter. To do this, check the checkboxes next to the names of the reports to filter with this timeline. Then click the “OK” button to apply your choices.
Timeline Options in Excel – Tutorial: A picture of a user modifying the appearance of a timeline in Excel 2016.
In the “Timeline Styles” button group, you can click the style you wish to apply to your selected timeline. The buttons within the “Arrange” button group let you change the alignment and placement of the timeline in the worksheet.
To set the size of the selected timeline pane, use the “Height” and “Width” buttons within the “Size” button group. You can check or uncheck the checkboxes in the “Show” group to show or hide those elements within the timeline.
Timeline Options in Excel: Instructions
- To set timeline options in Excel, select the timeline to modify.
- Then click the “Options” tab within the “Timeline Tools” contextual tab in the Ribbon.
- To view or edit the timeline name, use the “Timeline Caption” text box in the “Timeline” button group.
- To open the “Report Connections” dialog box, click the “Report Connections” button in the “Timeline” button group.
- Then check the checkboxes next to the names of the PivotTable and PivotChart reports to filter with this timeline.
- Then click the “OK” button to apply your choices.
- To change the timeline’s appearance, click the style to apply to the timeline in the “Timeline Styles” button group.
- To change the alignment and placement of the timeline in the worksheet, use the buttons in the “Arrange” button group.
- You can set the size of the timeline by using the “Height” and “Width” buttons in the “Size” button group.
- To show or hide elements in the timeline, check or uncheck the checkboxes in the “Show” button group.
Timeline Options in Excel: Video Lesson
Join Our Mailing List:
- Sort a Query in Access: Overview Yo...
- Save a Presentation Template in PowerPoint: Ove...
- Copy and Paste List Data from Excel into QuickB...
- The Sponge Tool in Photoshop Elements: Overview...
- Create a New Notebook in OneNote: Overview ...
- Access 2010
- Access 2013
- Access 2016
- CPE Information for CPAs
- Crystal Reports
- Excel 2010
- Excel 2013
- Excel 2016
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Excel Training for Lawyers
- Microsoft Office Online
- Microsoft Outlook Training for Lawyers
- Microsoft Word Training for Lawyers
- Office 2010
- Office 2013
- Office 2016
- Office 365
- OneNote 2013
- OneNote 2016
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook 2016
- Outlook on the Web
- Photoshop Elements
- PowerPoint 2010
- PowerPoint 2013
- PowerPoint 2016
- Project 2013
- Project 2016
- Publisher 2010
- Publisher 2013
- Publisher 2016
- Quickbooks Online
- QuickBooks Training for Lawyers
- Resume Writing
- Small Business Accounting
- What's New at TeachUcomp?
- Windows 10
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Word 2010
- Word 2013
- Word 2016
- Word Online