Automatic page numbering can be a great final touch to formal papers such as research documents and professional reports. In this post, we will discuss how to enter automatic numbering into the header or footer sections of a document in Microsoft Word 2013.
1. To view and edit header and footer information in your document, select either the “Header” or “Footer” buttons, from within the “Header & Footer” group on the “Insert” tab in the Ribbon. In the drop-down menu for each button, you can then choose either the “Edit Header” or “Edit Footer” command to place the insertion marker into either the header or footer sections, depending on your selection.
2. Or, you can pick a specific type of Header or Footer to insert.
3. When editing headers and footers, you can move between the headers and the footers using the buttons provided in the “Navigation” group on the “Design” tab of the “Header & Footer Tools” contextual tab in the Ribbon. Note that you can also press the “Up” and “Down” arrows on your keyboard to move between the headers and the footers, as well.
4. Within the header and footer sections, you can type or insert whatever information you want to appear. For some content, you can use the buttons available in the “Insert” group on the “Design” tab of the “Header & Footer Tools” contextual tab in the Ribbon.
5. In the “Header & Footer” Button Group, you can select “Page Number” in order to see a listing of options for inserting page numbers into your document. Select which type of numbering you would like, and Word will insert it into the Header or Footer.
6. To switch back to the normal document editing mode, either click the “Close Header and Footer” button in the “Close” group on the “Design” tab of the “Header & Footer Tools” context tab in the Ribbon, or simply double-click into the body of the document.