How to Number Pages in Word
by Joseph Brownell / Wednesday, July 23 2014 / Published in Latest, Microsoft, Microsoft Office Online, Office 2010, Office 2013, Word 2010, Word 2013, Word Online
How to Number Pages in Word: Overview
This tutorial will show you how to number pages in Word. In Word, you add page numbers to pages by inserting a “page number” field into either the header or footer of the document. This lesson will show you how to number pages in Word by accessing the header and footer of the document and inserting a page number field into either section.
How to Number Pages in Word: Quick Tip
You can EASILY apply page numbers by clicking the “Insert” tab in the Ribbon, then clicking the “Footer” drop-down button in the “Header & Footer” button group on that tab, and then clicking a page number layout shown in the drop-down menu that appears.
How to Number Pages in Word: Instructions
- Decide whether you want the page numbers to appear at the top of the page, in the “Header,” or at the bottom of the page, in the “Footer.”
- You then need to edit the content of either the “Header” or the “Footer” by double-clicking into either section when using the “Print Layout” view or clicking the “Insert” tab in the Ribbon, clicking either the “Header” or “Footer” button in the “Header & Footer” button group, and then choosing either the “Edit Header” or “Edit Footer” buttons from the drop-down menu.
- In the new “Design” tab of the “Header & Footer Tools” contextual tab that appears in the Ribbon, click the “Page Number” drop-down button in the “Header & Footer” button group.
- Roll your mouse pointer over either the “Top of Page” or “Bottom of Page” commands in the drop-down menu that appears to display a side menu of page numbering choices.
- Click the page numbering choice that you prefer in the side menu to add that type of page numbering to your pages.
- When finished, either double-click into the document content area or click the “Close Header and Footer” button in the “Close” button group on the “Design” tab of the “Header & Footer Tools” contextual tab in the Ribbon to stop editing the header and footer and return to the document.
How to Number Pages in Word: Video Lesson
Video lesson titled “7.2- Using Headers and Footers” from “Mastering Word Made Easy v.2013-2010,” which shows how to number pages in Word.
Tagged under: course, footer, header, help, How to Number Pages in Word, how-to, instructions, learn, learn Word, lesson, microsoft, Microsoft Office, overview, page numbering, page numbers, picture, pictures, teach, tips, training, tutorial, video, word